5 easy ways to rev up your metabolism
Feeling like no matter what you do, you can’t seem to stop your metabolic clock? The sad truth is that for many our metabolism starts to stall in our 30’s and so it’s important to know what you can do to boost your metabolism!
What determines your metabolism? Several factors help determine your rate of transforming food into energy including your genetics, sex, age, hormone levels, body size, and composition.
Here are 5 simple ways to boost your metabolism:
1. Green Tea: Green tea contains an antioxidant called catechins and can help in reducing body weight and waist circumference
2. Protein Foods: Our bodies need more energy to digest, absorb, and transport nutrients from consuming proteins into our body. By eating protein, our body’s need the most time to metabolize and can help accelerate your metabolism for hours after your meal. Try plant-rich protein sources like quinoa, beans, soy, or eggs, fish, and lean meats.
3. Eat Regularly: Studies have shown that elderly women who consume 2-3 meals daily vs 4-5 meals were more overweight. By eating regularly, you are better supporting your metabolism and keeping revved up throughout the day.
4. Get Sleep: Sleeping is so important for metabolism and chronic sleep deprivation can slow this process down, increase your appetite and lead to weight gain. You should aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep nightly.
5. Exercise: A good combination of weight training and cardiovascular activities are essential to boosting your metabolism as it raises our metabolic rate, and also keeps our resting energy expenditure high during the recovery period.