A few Pantry Essentials: What I can’t live without!
Here’s a shortlist of a few cooking oils, dressings, and spices I keep in my pantry that I can’t live without!
- Coconut oil: No longer thought of as an artery clogger, but instead the medium-chain fatty acids can release energy and is considered heart healthy. I use it when cooking or sautéing/stir frying under medium heat and can withstand very high temperatures.
- Olive oil: I only buy extra virgin olive oil as it is the least refined. Olive oil degrades quickly with heat, so I use it in salad dressings or when making fresh pestos or spreads.
- Ghee: Also known as clarified butter, ghee is an Indian Ayurvedic oil that has known healing properties and is good to use when cooking in medium to high temperatures.
- Rice vinegar: I use this for my Asian inspired dishes or when making salad dressing!
- Coconut milk: I usually buy the light version and use this for my Asian curries.
- Cayenne pepper: This red hot chili pepper is high in vitamin A and helps fight inflammation, offers natural pain relief, and boosts heart health. I use this in almost all my Indian and Asian dishes.
- Cumin: I can’t live without cumin in most of my Indian dishes and it boasts some immune fighting properties as well!
- Turmeric: I’ve already posted about this one, and you can use it in more than just your Indian dishes!
- Himalayan Pink Salt: this salt has many health benefits from helping to regulate water levels in the body, promoting pH balance, and encouraging blood sugar health