Rehab Thursdays: Exercise of the day – The Hip Hike
Why perform this exercise:
Weakness and tightness in these muscles often contribute to IT Band and knee pain as well as a loss in push off strength
Who can benefit: Runners, Cyclists, court sports, etc
How to perform this exercise:
- Begin a standing position with one leg planted firmly on the ground. Raise the opposite hip and pelvis by hiking your hip towards the sky.
- Hold for 3-5 seconds
- Slowly lower your hip and pelvis down towards the floor
- Repeat this exercise as many times as you can until you feel fatigue (1-2min)
- Ensure the standing leg is straight and do not sway your shoulders side to side.
- Perform this same exercise on the other side
- To make this exercise more challenging, it can be performed on a step raise to allow your hip to drop further.